Who We Are

Who We Are

History

history1Eastside Community Ministry began in 1958 as an outreach program of Central Presbyterian Church to the youth on the east side of the city of Zanesville, Ohio.

What began as a place for youth to take part in constructive activities has, over time, become much more.  ECM currently offers an after school program for youth in grades K-12, a choice food pantry, clothing bank, and emergency relief program.

history2The youth program began in a small building on Marietta Street, while a small area off a stairwell at Central Presbyterian served as Eastside’s office and service area.  Food pantry supplies were stored at nearby St. John’s Lutheran Church; the clothing bank consisted of tables lined with donated clothing, shoes and household goods.

In 2000, Eastside moved into its own new building located next to the youth center property, at 221 Stillwell Street.  building1This building houses all of our current programs.  Our youth program is located on the upper level, while the lower level houses our office, food pantry and clothing bank.  Over the years, ECM has been able, through generous donations, to purchase some adjoining properties which would allow for future expansion of services if and when needed.